Saturday, November 28, 2009

Macadamia Nut Pie


This came out fantastic! I followed a standard pecan pie recipe but substituted macadamia nuts for pecans. I also used white sugar and clear corn syrup. It makes for a more light and buttery flavor and this only enhances the rich macadamia nuts. I will try with 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 dark syrup for the next pie, but trust me, this is fantastic! I also zigzagged dark and white chocolate over the top. It is so good that no one wanted to wait and I had to take a pic when it was already cut! I highly recommend this and will surely make it again. You can tell from the picture that the inside is very light and clear. The crust is a standard butter flakey crust. The secret to sturdy, flakey crust, is to freeze it thoroughly and then blind bake before you add your chess pie ingredients. Also brush it with egg yolk to seal it from the moisture and don't forget to use pie weights to hold it down. I just use some dry beans that I only use for baking. A one pound bag of beans will last forever and they are way cheaper than pie weights. Bake on!

No comments:

Post a Comment