Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Apple Crumb Pie

Apple pie is usually reserved for July 4th festivities. However, I had no festivities this year but that doesn't mean I can't make a pie.  So, I made an apple pie for B. We had discussions about my baking and how I love to make pies when she mentioned that her mother used to make an apple pie with a crumb topping and it was very delicious. So I took this as an opportunity to not miss my apple pie making for the summer and to make one of these pies.  I have always wanted to make a crumb topped apple pie and this was a great opportunity.  So here goes.

My usually crust recipe that is very basic and simple; just flour, ice water, some sort of fat (butter or shortening or a combo depending on what I have on hand), salt and sugar.  Stir together the flour, sugar and salt and then cut in the fat.  After you have a mix that resembles course sand, mix in the ice water until it is still dry not over mixed or over handled.  I finished this step about a week ago because crust keeps well in the freezer and my kitchen is so crazy hot sometimes I can only go one step at a time. :-)

 There are the lovely golden delicious apples that work so well in a pie because they stand up well to cooking and have a lovely tartness and pronounced apple flavor that works well with the simple ingredients.  Peel, core and slice the apples, just add lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and a touch of flour to thicken the juice as it bakes.
Pour this lovely concoction into the crust covered pie plate, mix my stand by crumb topping from a previous blog and voila!

A delicious apple crumb pie!
And here is the final product as B and her family get ready for what I hope they enjoyed very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment